Thursday 27 June 2013

Last Week in my Garden

We just had an extended family long weekend away at Sea World Resort on the Gold Coast. So this is a recount of the things that went on in my garden last week.

Lantana 

I know some folks love this as a small ornamental plant but here in the north coast it is an out of control weed. We reclaimed about a quarter of an acre of land from lantana earlier in the year.



It still has a rather large grip on the very steep slope under our rock wall barrier. Fortunately, if you wear protective clothing and gloves, it does come out rather easily.

Bush Steps 

To access our steep gulley I have been reclaiming some hand hewn steps from the soil  and buried rocks.

The chickens have been so excited to keep me company as my mattocks turns up some tasty worms.

Pumpkin Patch



I raised the seeds this month and started planting them out on the slope around our septic tank.

Anne Marie gave me some sweet potato runners as well. The chickens were great at excavating but some of the seedings were scratched out more than once.



Demolition

We paid a young lad to spend 4.5 hours to demolish the old brick incinerator and dog house. They were so ugly and quite conspicuous in our view.

The chickens also helped (at times hindered) him out. Plenty of ants, centipedes and even worms to be found.

It looks so much better to have those two structures removed.



And my rye grass has grown so much that I got to hand mow it too!

Linking up to Down Home Blog Hop #43 over at Tilly's Nest.

2 comments:

  1. Looks great - you have such a lovely view from your place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness, I admire your energy! I'm enjoying watching your garden develop:-)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.