Wednesday 6 February 2013

Retro Fitting a Runner


I made this dresser runner last year but just backed it with French General textured solid. Now I wish that I had made it double sided. I do love the triangular quilting from the front showing through.

I went off to my first Sunday Sew In at Rainbow Patchwork and discovered that I had 3 nine patch blocks of Astor Manor already sewn together. 

So my question is...Can I retro-fit the back of this runner with these 9 Patch squares and what technique should I use? Any suggestions would be appreciated.


This Week's  Sewing  Stats

Completed projects  -  'Sew Retro - crockery" block for Wombat Stew

Currently in progress -  Tall Boy Runner (top complete)
                                            Dresser Runner (back)
                                               
Yet to start  - Sherbert Dreams Quilt
                           
On Hold projects   - Sherbert Dreams Quilt
                                     - 4 Liberty Pillowcases 
                                     - Victorian Garden Quilt - to baste
       


Linking up with WiP Wednesday.


WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

8 comments:

  1. Try this technique - Cut squares of iron-on lightweight Vilene/interfacing. Place your blocks right side down onto the gluey side of a square and sew together all the way round using a 1/4" seam. Now make a slit in the interfacing and turn through - poke corners and smooth without pressing with an iron.The gluey side will now be on the back of your block. Place on to the back of your runner and when happy with position, press with a warm to hot iron. You now have the look of needle turn applique and could reinforce with some slip stitching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila...I have never heard of this method but it is clever. I will let you know how I go with it.

      Delete
  2. I would like to say yes, and I would like to offer advice, but I have no idea! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Sheilas's idea. I don't use interfacing, though, so I would probably applique them on using needle turn and then do faux hand quilting to the fabric behind it (not all the way through the sandwich) to match the quilting pattern on the original.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I would applique them on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great rework idea! I love that the quilting will shine through even more. :) I really like Sheila's idea too. Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh sounds like Sheila's idea is a bit of a winner!

    Look forward to seeing what you do with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shelias idea sounds like the way to go! I had a similar idea in mind to put a quilt label on the Architextures quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.