Wednesday 10 October 2012

Gingerbread anyone?

Embroidery is new to me this year - through the Zakka Style Happy Handwarmers and I kind of like it. It is transportable and relaxing.On our recent holiday I packed Aneela Hooey's NEW embroidery book called 'Little Stitches'.  Aneela has a very sweet and humorous blog called Comfort Stitching and I like to read about her designing process, but I have also taken to her embroidery as well.

'Little Stitches' is a great book for beginners like me because it not only has explanations of equipment, thread types, fabric and stitches in the front, but then it has projects to make (with 2 different embroidery pattern options) in the middle.  For each pattern design she lists what colour and how many strands of thread will be needed. Very helpful. The patterns are at the back along with the clever extra bonus iron-on transfers in the very back.
So I packed the book, some floss, some linen, two hoops and my cute needle book. (I never knew that embroidery needles had longer eyes until I read the 'Embroidery Basics' section in the book).
I chose to do the snow globe on some pale blue linen. I had a bit of trouble with my french knot snowflakes but not much else. 
Then my eldest son wanted to learn and so I set him up with the largest hoop and he chose the gingerbread design. Apart from a few knots and de-threaded needles, he's not too bad at all.
I think we are going to turn them into Christmas tree decorations. Next Duncan wants to do the Empire State Building needle book

Things have really slowed down since Friday. I have been tweaking the house instead.


This Week's Stats

Completed projects  -  6 Halloween Pillowcases 

Currently in progress -
                                               - embroidery snowglobe
                                              - 'Say Cheese' polaroid mini blocks - 10 more to do
                                             
Yet to start  - 4 Liberty Pillowcases
                        - QCA Bee block for October
                         - Wombat Stew House Block for Jane
                        - Mystery Quilt back 
                        - Katie Jump Kites - ready to baste
                      
On Hold projects   - Sherbert Dreams Quilt
                                      - Craftsy BOMs from June, August and September

       

I am linking up with...

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

7 comments:

  1. Your snowglobe looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of that book, your embroidery (and your son's) look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute snow-globe! He's a real natural!!
    The book looks so awesome! I know there was something else I should have asked for! =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent work, both of you! I think I'm going to have to get that book into my life, too. I love everything I've seen of it already. That Empire State Needlebook sounds like a great project for your son!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's my next project too - I love the snowglobe!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving the embroidery work! That's fab that one of the kidlets took an interest too - it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore your embroidered snowdome.
    And how SERIOUSLY COOL is your son!!
    So glad you're joining us for Blogtoberfest12.
    Kat xx

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.