Wednesday 16 May 2012

Fresh Air

We've had some glorious dry autumn days this week. Crisp morning starts but lots of sun and a little breeze during the day - perfect for drying the washing on the clothesline. Yesterday I had a 2 hour job of sorting out 8 baskets of dry washing, folding and then putting away. I was successful in the latter stage by only 50%. I still have my basket, the towels, the sheets and the kitchen stuff to put away. 


And then there is the other aspect of domestic chore - shopping! I had to head into town this morning to purchase some long school pants, jumpers and groceries. Another hour of packing away groceries and it was lunchtime. Settle down for a tasty fresh ham, tomato and lettuce roll and reward myself with a 'James Taylor (whenever I see his smiling face...I have to smile myself) Live in Concert' dvd.


However washing and grocery shopping weather is not conducive to sewing. 


Fussy Fairytales Update
I have nearly finished hand quilting Fussy Fairytales. I am still concerned that the larger panels have too much unbasted fabric to contend with.  As quilt designer Kate Conklin hand quilted her original version, I wanted her opinion on what to do. So I sent her a message, to which she relied that some of the panels might be too big.
The largest section is 6"x7" and so I may have to add some more stitch-work to tie the quilt sandwich together. I can't decide whether to baste these sections with some kind of invisible thread, a short little basting knot or to highlight a feature within the panel. So more hand-quilting is in store for me. I don't really mind putting in the effort to get a more satisfactory finish. Plus starting next week, there is a new linky party each Friday for hand-stitchwork.


You can find all the details at...
                                                        There and Back
Katie Jump Kites
That is what I have named this quilt, a combination of the fabric line 'Katie Jump Rope' by Denyse Schmidt and the pattern 'Kaleidoscopic Kites' by Faith @ Fresh Lemons Quilts. I finished the cutting on Monday and I got just an hour and a half of sewing time today to start the patchwork.
The blocks are all made up the same way however, different in the fabric choice so I had to keep referring to the grid reference. They came together quite quickly and to have a new project to sew is a breath of fresh air. 


This week's stats:
Completed projects ZSSA - Rain Cloud Mug Rug
  
Currently in progress   - 'HR Far Far Away 2&3 Fussy Fairytales'  hand quilting the windows and peekaboo                                           squares.
                                               - Katie Jump Kites - on cutting table
                                               
On Hold projects   - Mystery Quilt - top pieced

How are your WiPs going? 


I am linking up with....

4 comments:

  1. Glad to see you're making some progress. Will look out to see the hand quilting updates =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh loving how the Katie Jump Kites quilt is coming together! I can see why'd you need a reference for the block layout. It's going to be a stunner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like highlighted features on fabrics, I would go for that. Those kites looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always a challenge to find sewing time between all of those real life chores that keep interrupting us. I love your Katie Jump Kites design with the great fabrics.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.